A moist, cake like bread flavored with almond and studded with cherries.
By Michelle Keith
There are some flavors that seem to go together so perfectly, and cherries and almond happen to fit into that category. In this sweet, cake-like bread the essence of almond permeates the tender bread and the bright cherries give a burst of fruitiness that accentuates it even more.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup cherries- coarsely chopped and patted dry.
- Preheat oven to 400
- Grease a standard size loaf pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar
- Gently fold in the cherries
- In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, milk and extracts.
- Combine the two mixtures, stirring until just moistened.
- Pour into pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Michelle Keith is a South Florida native and the author of "The Village Cook". A self taught chef, her experience cooking and baking spans over 30 years. In addition to her food blog, she has also been featured in numerous websites, and writes recipes for her local community newsletter. She also is the editor of "The Domestic Mama", a blog about motherhood and family life. She currently resides in South Florida.