Roasted beets are an unexpected addition to a quick and easy vegetable soup.
By Lauren Hardy
- 2 beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 container (26 oz.) vegetable cooking stock
- Preheat the oven to 400?F. Drizzle beets with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Peel and chop beets, then set aside. In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Add carrots, sweet potato, zucchini and herbs (salt & pepper too, if you’d like) and saute for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour vegetable stock over vegetables and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in roasted beet pieces and simmer for another 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.