Canned pumpkin gives this rich chocolate cake a fudgy texture and keeps the whole thing moist.
By Liz Swartz
- 1½ cup flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line the bottoms of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper and lightly butter.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Stir the buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Beat the butter and sugars together using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and yolk, one at a time. Reduce mixer speed to low and alternately beat in the flour and buttermilk mixtures in thirds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake until a tester, inserted in the center, comes out clean--about 35 minutes. Cool layers completely before icing.
- beat the cream cheese by hand or in an electric mixer until soft, then add the other ingredients and beat until completely smooth.
Lizzy Wolff, creator of Sugar + Butter, loves to make you drool on your keyboard. It's a real thrill for her. For more recipes, click 'website' below.