Replacing the usual spinach with kale and cutting the carbs from this “lasagna” makes a favorite vegetarian dinner even healthier.
By Roberta Pipito
- 3 to 4 Zucchini’s, cut into strips (thin or thick it’s up to you)
- 12 to 14 oz bag of Baby Kale, sautéed
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 15 oz of ricotta cheese
- 5 oz of shredded Asiago cheese
- 24 oz of Homemade crushed Tomato sauce or Store bought
- 3 Portbella mushrooms, sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 to 400 degrees
- In a large grill pan add some olive oil to medium heat. Add the baby kale and cook that down. Should take about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally . If need, add a bit of water to steam it, so the kale can wilt. When down place aside to cool.
- Next, place some paper towels in a large dish next to your stove; when you cook the veggies, transfer them to the paper towels to drain all that moisture.
- In the same large grill pan on medium-high heat add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add zucchini, and portabella mushroom, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale and ricotta cheese with garlic powder, Italian seasoning. Mix well and place to the side
- Evenly coat the bottom of a baking dish with some olive oil and about half of the crushed tomato sauce. Evenly layer some of the Zucchini strips than add the ricotta mix, then mushrooms, Asiago cheese and crushed tomatoes; repeat. For final layer, reverse the asiago cheese and crushed tomatoes layers so that the cheese is on top.
- Bake in the oven until lasagna is hot and the cheese melted, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, cut into pieces, and enjoy!