Give your traditional stuffing an Asian-flare this year by incorporating oysters and Oyster Sauce.
- 2 loaves French bread ¾-inch cubes (12 cups)
- ½ lb sliced bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1½ cups chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup Oyster Sauce
- ⅔ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 18 oysters, shucked, drained, and chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in skillet.
- If bacon renders less than ¼ cup fat, add enough oil to skillet to total ¼ cup fat. Cook onions, celery, thyme, garlic, and pepper in fat in skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread cubes, then stir in bacon, parsley, butter, oyster sauce and oysters. Drizzle with stock, then season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Transfer stuffing to a buttered 3- to 3½-quart shallow baking dish. Bake, covered, in middle of oven 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until browned, about 30 minutes more