Summer has its own category of comfort food and one that fits the bill is this spicy jalapeño and sweet corn chowder paired with sharp white cheddar. A delicious bowl of spicy, sweet, and creamy.
By Annie Holmes
I have had the idea for a really good sweet corn chowder for a while, and had given it a few tries, but never totally nailed it. This time, it was perfect. The key is to use really good ingredients, good fresh sweet corn, fresh jalapenos and a good, hearty, sharp cheddar.
This chowder has the perfect blend of flavors. It has a hint of spice from the jalapeño, a natural sweetness from the corn, a little smokiness from the spices and a creamy cheddar base to balance it all out.
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ears sweet corn, husk and silk removed and cut from the cobb
- 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (room temperature so it melts well)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1½ cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (Cabot New York Vintage is my favorite)
- Heat a large sauce pan or dutch oven to medium heat.
- Add olive oil and chopped onion, sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn and chopped jalapeños, sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low, let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and add cream cheese, cream and cheddar, stir well. Let simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onions if desired.