Tofu is super absorbent and takes in flavours beautifully no matter what you cook with it or cook it in.
By Nagalakshmi Viswanathan
The moment I saw this gorgeous sesame tofu recipe, I wanted to try it. Some of the original ingredients are not always what I have in hand or use much so I substituted with my own variations and it still tasted great.
- 1 block of firm tofu
- ¼ cup of cornflour / corn starch
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of white sesame seeds
- A small bunch of spring onions/green onions
- 3 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp of soya sauce
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- 2 tsp of red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp of freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp of freshly grated garlic
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- ½ cup of oil, more or less, for shallow frying
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a pan.
- Simmer on low heat until it starts to bubble up a bit. Continue to simmer for 2-3 mins and then turn off flame.
- Now we need to fry up the tofu. If your tofu came packed in water, drain completely and press between kitchen towels to extract extra moisture. Cut into bite-sized cubes and dredge in the corn flour until fully coated.
- Heat oil for shallow frying in a pan and add the tofu pieces in small batches making sure they don't overlap at all. Fry until light golden brown, drain and continue until you are done with the entire lot. Drain on kitchen towels to absorb the extra oil.
- Add the fried tofu to a wide bowl and pour the sauce on top.
- Top off with the sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
- Toss well to coat.