Yellow dal is a lentil soup or dal made by boiling yellow pigeon peas with sautéed garlic, mustard seeds and chillies.
By Anita Mokashi
Yellow dal is a lentil soup or dal made by boiling tuvar dal (yellow pigeon peas) with sautéed garlic, mustard seeds and chillies. This is one of the best comfort foods and so easy to prepare. It tastes best when served with hot rice.
- 2 cups boiled tuvar dal/ yellow pigeon peas
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 green chillies slit
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- pinch of asafetida
- salt as per taste
- Boil tuvar dal with salt and asafetida. Keep it aside.
- In a pan heat ghee.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, turmeric powder and chillies. Sautee for a minute.
- Add boiled tuvar dal. Mix well. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Anita Mokashi is based in California, but born and brought up in Mumbai, India. Her blog Crave Cook Click is mostly about Indian cooking, but occasionally she shares recipes from other cultures and cuisines too. Anita is also the publisher of a popular photography blog.