Thandai is a refreshing beverage made with milk that is infused with almond and other spices popular in northern India.
By Kankana Saxena
- ¼ cup whole almond
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
- 2 tbs fennel seeds
- 1 tbs cardamom powder
- 20 peppercorns
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- few strands of saffron
- 1 tbs slivered pistachios for garnish
- 2 tbs rose water
- Using a coffee grinder or mixer, grind the ingredients of the powder mix to a fine dust.
- Boil the milk with sugar and few strands of saffron .
- Add the grind powder and mix it well.
- Let it refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours to 6 hours.
- Strain the drink, add rose water and mix.
- Garnish it with some slivered pistachio, few saffron tread and serve it cold.
Kankana Saxena shares culinary journey, travel stories and passion for photography in her blog 'Playful Cooking'. Her cooking style is mostly nutritional with little bit of indulgence here and there. She believes in the mantra 'homemade is happiness'! She is a native of India but currently resides in Santa Clara, California with her husband.