Top these burgers with spicy chutney or chipotle sauce to cut the sweetness of the patties.
By Mansi Desai
- 2 cans white cannellini beans, drained
- 1 large sweet potato, baked & mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp garam masala or tikka masala
- ¼ cup thinly shredded carrots
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- lemon juice, add to taste
- salt, add to taste
- red chili powder or cayenne pepper, add to taste
- 2 tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mash the sweet potato and the cannelini beans, and mix them together.
- Add the remaining ingredients, all your spices, the flour and the bread crumbs, and combine to make a smooth mixture. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Now take the sweet potato mixture, and divide it into 6 parts. Grease your palms with oil if needed, and shape them into nice and thick burger patties.
- Refrigerate them for 30 minutes, or until ready to grill.
- Right before grilling, roll them in some more bread crumbs if needed, and put them straight on the grill. Or if you like, take some oil in a pan and saute them over the stove, until golden brown and cooked on both sides.
- To serve, put your patty on a bun, top with a slice of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and some fresh avocado. Sprinkle with some spicy chutney, chipotle sauce or horseradish sauce and enjoy!
A part-time recipe developer and food blogger, Mansi loves to experiment with vegetarian food, taking each recipe and giving it a fusion gourmet mark, a glimpse of which you can see on her blog called Fun and Food Cafe. As a mom of a toddler, she also looks for ways to keep her food healthy and flavorful, so even kids can enjoy it.