Deena Wachtel gives us a wonderful recipe for steamed clams in wine with pancetta.
By Deena Wachtel
- 4 ounces, pancetta, fine dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted & ground
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds littleneck or Manilla clams, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Render the pancetta over medium heat. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cook the onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin and salt in oil in a heavy pot, over moderate heat until almost a jam consistency. Add pancetta. Stir in wine and bring to a boil.
- Add clams. Boil with the pot covered until the clams open - 3-4 minutes.
- Discard any clams that don't open.
- Season with pepper and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with slices of French Baguette.
Deena is a stay at home foodie, obsessed with food and intent on changing her finicky family into a foodie family. She lives by a set of FOODosophies and has pledged to get her kids into the kitchen to teach them how to cook and love good tasting food. It's not always pretty and there are nights when the kids go hungry. But, for her, it's all for the greater good. She blogs daily at stayathomeFOODIE.com.