Fudge cake and frosting with hazelnuts and rum make this rich dessert heavenly on the tongue.
By Ann Low
This Nutella Mud Cake is incredibly sinful but heavenly yummy! This recipe was adapted from The Australian Women’s Weekly cookbook but I’ve changed the chocolate to Nutella. This cake is very easy to make without the need of an electric mixer. Just simply melt the Nutella spread, butter and sugar together, then add in the flour and egg. One thing you should not miss out is the liqueur, rum. This cake is full of aromatic rum flavour, dense, moist, rich and fudgy. If you’re a Nutella fan you must try this!
- 350g (12 ounces) Nutella spread
- 225g (8 ounces) Butter
- 100g (3.5 ounces) Brown sugar
- 180g (6.3 ounces) Water
- 110g (3.8 ounces) Plain flour
- 35g (1.2 ounces) Self raising flour
- 50g (1.7 ounces) Ground hazelnuts
- 2 Eggs ( whole egg -70g/2.4 ounces each)
- 80g (2.8 ounces) Rum
- 45g Butter
- 1 tbsp Water
- 75g (1.5 ounces) Brown sugar
- 50-160g (2-5.5 ounces) Icing sugar (depending on sweetness and consistency preference)
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder ?I used Valrhona)
- 2 tbsp Rum
- Preheat oven to 150C (3005F). Grease deep 20cm round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- Stir Nutella spread, butter, sugar and the water in medium saucepan over low heat until smooth. Cool 15 minutes. Stir in sifted flours, ground hazelnut, eggs and rum.
- Pour mixture into pan; bake for about 1 hour 30 minutes. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes, turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make fudge frosting. Spread cake with frosting and chill it for 2 hours before consuming.
- Stir butter, the water and brown sugar in small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, stir in rum.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into small bowl; gradually stir in hot butter mixture until smooth. Cover; refrigerator about 10 minutes or until frosting thickens. Beat frosting with a rubber spatula until spreadable.