Just like the iconic candy bar, Prestígio Cheesecake Bars are rich and fudge-y with contrasting coconut. The added bonus here is in the cheesecake layer and bittersweet chocolate frosting.
By Denise Browning
Prestígio Cheesecake Bars contain a bottom layer of rich and fudgy chocolate brownie, contrasting with the second layer of mildly sweet coconut cheesecake, and the third layer of smooth, bittersweet chocolate frosting.
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes (plus extra for garnishing)
- 6 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate bar, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven at 325° F. Line both the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Working with a double boiler, add about 1-2 inches of water to the bottom pan. Heat pan over low heat until water begins to simmer. Set top pan over the bottom pan and melt the butter. Stir in a mixture of a mixture of sugar and cocoa powder until combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla (mixture will be gritty). Transfer mixture to a large bowl and whisk in the eggs, one at a time, just until combined. Whisk in half of a flour-salt mixture and then half of the yogurt. Whisk the other half of flour-salt, and then the remaining half of the yogurt until obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
- Spread chocolate bar batter in the prepared baking pan. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, coconut cream, sugar, and coconut extract on medium speed until mixture is both smooth and creamy. Beat in egg just until incorporated. Then, beat in flour on low speed. Stir in coconut flakes. Pour coconut cheesecake filling over chocolate bar layer.
- Bake for about 28-30 minutes or until cheesecake filling is set. Let cool on a rack for about 30 minutes.
- ln a medium non-stick saucepan, stir in chopped bittersweet chocolate, butter, and heavy whipping cream over medium heat until completely melted and smooth. Then, immediately pour chocolate mixture over baked chocolate-coconut bar, spreading to edges gently. Let chocolate topping set while cooling. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bar out of pan. Using a large, sharp knife, cut into 10 rectangles, wiping clean after each cut. Sprinkle coconut flakes on top of the cheesecake bars and enjoy!
- Read more: http://www.frombraziltoyou.org/prestigio-cheesecake-bars/#ixzz36yzAEfAJ
Denise Browning is a native Brazilian foodie, trained Chef, cooking instructor, restaurant menu/recipe developer, and former lawyer. She is also the author of From Brazil To You - a blog that features Brazilian, fusion, and international dish recipes, stories, and photography of Brazil. Her writing has appeared in Cia Brasil Magazine, while her photography is frequently featured on Foodgawker, TasteSpotting, and Foodepix. She lives in Texas with her American husband and two children.