PARTNER POST: October is National Seafood Month, reinvent your recipes with new ideas on how to feature potatoes and seafood in one dish.
Ready in just thirty minutes, this potato and salmon dish is spicy, nourishing, and sensory scintillating.
These days, the word curry (which was supposedly coined by the British after being exposed to Kari in India in the 18th century) is used to describe most sauce-filled, spice-tinged dishes. When I was a youngster, my mom had two distinct types of curries she served us with rice or roti. One was saucy like this Potato and Cashew Curry and the other was simply less saucy – more dry, like this Ala Thel Dala. Now, both types of my mom’s curries had similar spices in them, and, no matter if they were fish or meat based, they would always contain potatoes because potatoes are one of Mother Nature’s best-kept secrets – right?!
As I’ve gotten older, I have come to adore dry curries. In my humble opinion, they don’t have to be paired with rice or roti. They are perfect alone or on a bed of broccoli slaw – like you see here. This spiced Potato & Salmon Dry Curry is my jam! Or rather – was my jam as it’s all gone now!
While potatoes usually take some time to cook up, I cut their cooking time down significantly by chopping them and microwaving them first while I prepared a spicy dry rub. I used the dry rub to coat the salmon with before sautéing it with the holy trinity of Sri Lankan cuisine – onions, garlic, and ginger. Then I added some tomato paste and a tad bit of coconut milk to the remaining dry rub spices; dropped the cooked potatoes into the coconut-tomato-spice mix and then added that to the salmon. And, this intoxicatingly aromatic and tasty dinner was done in 30 minutes!
No matter if you like your potatoes with a steak or in a Salmon dry curry, did you know that one medium potato can provide you with 45% of your daily value of vitamin C and more potassium than a banana and has only 110 calories?
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 large potato cubed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb salmon cut into 6 or so pieces
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Olive oil
- Add cubed potato to a microwave safe bowl, drizzle a bit of water on it and microwave for 5 minutes
- While potato is cooking in microwave, add olive oil to coat a pan and place over a medium flame
- Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, then add in the ginger and garlic and let saute for about 2 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix the paprika, garam masala, turmeric, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper to a bowl
- Add salmon pieces to bowl with spices and toss to coat
- Then place salmon in the pan with the onions, garlic and ginger and cook 4 minutes
- To the bowl with the remaining spices, add tomato paste and coconut milk and toss cooked potatoes into it
- Returning back to the pan with the salmon, flip salmon pieces over and add in the spiced potatoes
- Cover and let salmon and potatoes cook for about 4 more minutes
- Serve over broccoli slaw with avocados and lemon/lime and cilantro
I am a healthy food lover - and tricking my loved ones into eating their veggies disguised as treats is my specialty! I am also a graphic designer by day and blogger by night and a mom 24/7!