This dish is super easy to make, and you can be sure the family will love it.
By Roberta Pipito
I love having mexican night at our house. I try to make something different everytime. I think this Mexican Lasagna is now on the list of favorites; probably #1. This dish is super easy to make, and I’m sure the family will love it. Instead of using pasta I used whole wheat tortillas. I hope you’ll enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ to 2 pounds of ground lean turkey meat
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 to 3 cups of green tomatillo salsa
- 1 cup corn
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced with seeds (optional)
- Salt & Ground Pepper (to taste)
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ½ cup of Ciliantro, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 Lime
- Sour Cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add ground turkey and season with chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic. Brown the meat, 8 minutes. Add tomatillo salsa, black beans, corn, red peppers, jalapenos and lime zest and juice. Heat the mixture through, 5 minutes then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra virgin olive oil. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: Bake lasagna 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions,cilantro and sour cream and serve.