Try an authentic Malaysian, Singaporean, and Thai recipe for roti canai from the wonderful duo at Laut NYC.
How to Make Authentic Roti Canai
Recipe Type: Bread
- 1lb all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup oil or clarified butter
- pinch of salt
- 3 sp Condensed milk
- water (the amount usually varies as all flours are different but the consistency of the dough should be the same as playdoh)
- Butter, to cover the the dough
- mix and sift the dry ingredients first
- add oil or clarified butter knead and gradually add in the water (the dough should be soft and not sticky)
- knead for 15 mins and let the dough rest for 30 min covered w. a damp cloth
- knead the dough again and form round pieces about 100-150 grams each and rub with butter / ghee and let it rest again for an hour, this to allow the gluten to form so we can achieve the elasticity and it can stretch.
- later flip the roti and cook in ghee on a flat top.