Try an authentic Malaysian, Singaporean, and Thai recipe for roti canai from the wonderful duo at Laut NYC.
- 1 lb all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup oil or clarified butter
- pinch of salt
- 3 sp Condensed milk
- water the amount usually varies as all flours are different but the consistency of the dough should be the same as playdoh
- Butter to cover the the dough
- mix and sift the dry ingredients first
- add oil or clarified butter knead and gradually add in the water (the dough should be soft and not sticky)
- knead for 15 mins and let the dough rest for 30 min covered w. a damp cloth
- knead the dough again and form round pieces about 100-150 grams each and rub with butter / ghee and let it rest again for an hour, this to allow the gluten to form so we can achieve the elasticity and it can stretch.
- later flip the roti and cook in ghee on a flat top.
Michelle Tchea is a 4-time bestselling author. Her books include, Building a Perfect Meal, My Little SoHo Kitchen, Signature Dishes (Australia's Best) and Chefs Collective. Her work can be found in other leading luxury travel and food magazines including Travel+Leisure Asia, SMILE, NUVO Magazine and The Telegraph