Sweet potatoes paired with black beans tossed in olive oil, garlic and cumin powder. Everything is then drizzled with a little bit of tahini, and garnished with cilantro for freshness.Print
Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potato
- Author: Mariela Alvarez Toro
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 whole sweet potato
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 dash cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- Several cilantro leaves
- Tahini to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash potato under running water, pat dry, and set aside.
- Place potato on a square-ish piece of aluminum foil. Using a fork, poke the potato several times, then drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Wrap the potato with the paper foil and place in oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- While potato bakes, prepare the black beans. In a medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium temperature. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add cumin powder, black beans, and salt.
- Toss beans in oil until fully warmed through. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Add cilantro leaves and set aside.
- After 45 minutes have passed remove potato from oven, unwrap from aluminum foil, and let cool slightly.
- To serve, cut potato halfway through down the middle. Spoon the beans onto the potato, and then drizzle a teaspoon of tahini. Eat immediately.
Recently graduated with from Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design. She has recently completed "People in Food-Space", an ethnographic study on the cultural production of taste in space. She has also examined post-soviet food production systems and housing projects in Havana, Cuba. Originally from Puerto Rico, Mariela has been living in the United States for eight years. She has involved herself in both teaching and practice, while writing on food at tastyplan.com. Her goal as a food writer is to cook creatively, using the best ingredients to find new flavor combinations every day.