Partner Post: Want to experiment with Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka? You can find some inspiration by visiting the @zu_usa Instagram page.
Refresh with a cucumber and vodka cocktail that is perfect for a spring brunch or a cooler on a warm afternoon.
I am super excited that spring is here and we have months of warmer weather to look forward to!
One of my favorite things about the warmer weather months is that I can dine al fresco. I am lucky enough to have a decent sized roof with a few tables where I can go outside and enjoy brunch with my friends. There’s nothing better than sipping a cocktail, soaking up the sun, and enjoying good eats!
When it comes to cocktails, I like to keep them light and refreshing. I was recently introduced to interesting Polish spirit called Zubrowka or better known as Zu Bison Grass Vodka, which apparently uses a 600 year old traditional recipe. While sipping it I’ve noticed hints of vanilla, chamomile, and even a little bit of coconut! Quite unexpected for a vodka if you ask me. So for my spring get-togethers, my friends typically know me for making the traditional Bellini or mimosa but this spirit inspired me to try and create something more unique. After doing a little research, I found a polish drink called the Brisk Cucumber, which helped give me a starting point for my own recipe.
Cucumbers in cocktails ooze the word “refreshing” to me. The original brisk cucumber recipe called for apple juice, which I swapped for lemon seltzer to give the drink an extra little pucker. As my own personal touch, I added a small amount of grated ginger because I love when my drinks have the smallest hint of spice.
To serve the cocktail, I used mason jars because they are great for transporting. If I want to move from my apartment to the roof or vice versa I just pop on the metal lid and it’s ready to go!
- Crushed ice
- 1 small Kirby cucumber
- ½ small lemon
- 2 tsps sugar
- ½ tsp of freshly grated ginger
- Seltzer water
- Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka
- Fill both mason jars ¾ of the way with crushed ice. Slice up the cucumber into thin rounds. Divide between both mason jars. Add 1 tsp of sugar to each mason jar.
- Juice half a lemon and divide amongst the two mason jars. Slice two rounds from the remaining half of the lemon to use as garnish.
- Pour 1.5 ounces of Zubrowka into each mason jar. Add a ¼ tsp of ginger to each cup right before the club soda was poured in. Pour in the seltzer water. Garnish with a lemon slice and enjoy!