Miracle is a Christmas-themed pop-up cocktail bar that serves holiday cocktails in a festive setting. With kitschy holiday décor, professionally-developed cocktails and the nostalgic energy of the best office party you’ve ever been to, Miracle’s goal is to get even the grouchiest grinch in the holiday spirit.
If Santa had a drink to wind down after his busiest night of the year, it would be Miracle’s Snowball Old-Fashioned. The seasonal take on this classic drink includes familiar ingredients of rye, bitters, and a touch of orange zest. What’s the difference? It replaces cherries with gingerbread syrup, guaranteeing that this holiday cocktail dashes through the snow with sugar and spice. Not only would Santa cherish it after a long wintry night, but you will too.
With a deep sweetness and slightly smoky flavor balanced by the brightness of citrus, when pairing this cocktail, opt for foods with salty, sharp, or nutty profiles like these Candied Holiday Peanuts.
These flavors can cut the sugary element of the drink and provide a complimentary counterpoint to the bourbon notes, especially if it’s made with a spicier rye whiskey.
Miracle's Snowball Old-Fashioned
- 40 fl oz water
- 1700 grams white sugar
- 110 grams molasses (Grandma’s Original)
- 36 grams cinnamon sticks, whole
- 2 grams cloves, whole
- 2 grams allspice, whole
- 5 grams nutmeg, ground
- 80 grams fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 oz rye (Rittenhouse)
- 1/2 oz “scant” oz gingerbread syrup
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters (Angostura)
- 2 dashes Cocktail Kingdom® Wormwood Bitters
- orange zest (to express and discard)
- snowball ice
- Combine chopped ginger and approximately half of the water to a blender cup or food processor, and mix. Set aside.
- Crack and grind all the dried spices and add to a large saucepan.
- Toast over medium-low heat until aromatic, mixing regularly so as to not burn.
- Add remaining water to saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat and add sugar, blended ginger, and molasses and heat again until simmering and sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain using a bouillon strainer. 8 Bottle, date, and refrigerate.
- In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients with cracked ice and stir well.
- Strain into a Miracle Double Rocks Glass.
- Add the snowball ice.
- Express orange zest over the drink and discard the peel.
I enjoy listening to the stories of the people who devote their time to fill our stomachs with scrumptious food. And of course, experiencing and sharing my thoughts on the cuisines that span across the world.