Get the best of both worlds with this red hot cinnamon ice cream embraced in a root beer float.
I wanted to make this Root Beer Float PG-13 so instead of adding booze, I made a hot, hot, hot cinnamon/candied ginger ice cream to be bathed in Boylan Root Beer and topped off with a Red Hot Jawbreaker. So, how’s that working for us? Wicked good.
As for making a float, it’s ice cream in a glass. Pour the root beer over it to get it nice and foamy and plunk a Jawbreaker on top of the whole thing. If you want to add a shot of real Fireball Whiskey to the whole thing, be my guest.
- 3 big scoops of hot cinnamon ice cream
- 1 bottle of Boylan's or your root beer of choice
- 1 Red Hot Jawbreaker
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups whipping cream
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 3 tbsp (more or less) finely chopped candied ginger
- Crush cinnamon sticks in a mortar and pestle or in a plastic bag with a hammer.
- In a pot mix together the broken pieces of cinnamon, cream, salt, milk, and sugar.
- Heat the mixture.
- When hot and well mixed, take it off the fire and put a lid on the pan.
- Let it steep for 1 hour.
- When it's fragrant and fully infused with cinnamon, add in other cup of whipping cream, mix it all together well.
- Strain cinnamon pieces out and pop everything into the fridge to chill.
- When the mixture is cold put it into an ice cream machine for about 20 minutes.
- While it's churning, chop the candied ginger into bits.
- After about 20 minutes, the ice cream will start to firm up. Add in the ginger pieces; make sure they're well distributed in the ice cream.
- Let it churn for another 5 minutes or so, until it's nice and firm then scoop it into a container and stash it in the freezer until needed.
- Pour the root beer over it to get it nice and foamy and add a Red Hot Jawbreaker on top.