Soft baked gluten-free donuts are packed with great flavor from Greek yogurt and lemon for a bright dessert that is versatile enough for many eaters.
By Joana Oliveira
Two of the advantages of baking with yogurt is that the batter stays moist and light. You can try my Natural Yogurt and Lemon Cake, my Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake or even my savory Cornbread, and you´ll see how it´s possible to have wonderful results in a gluten free kitchen by simply adding yogurt.
This time I used a greek yogurt as it has negligible amounts of lactose. I also use clarified butter (ghee), as it´s healthier than regular butter and naturally lactose and caseine free. Baking and cooking with yogurt and ghee allows us to have calcium in our diets, no matter which one we follow.
For the glaze, I stayed faithful to the recipe´s main ingredients: lemon and greek yogurt. You can omit this part, if you want a very healthy dessert but I think these not-fried-but-baked donuts with a healthy batter deserve an indulgent topping. They are really good and so much better than store-bought donuts
- ½ cup/ 70 gr rice flour
- ⅓ cup/ 50 gr. tapioca
- 1oz/ 30gr (30) ground almonds or almond meal
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter (olive oil, if you prefer)
- ⅓ cup/ 85 gr. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz/ 125gr greek yogurt (lactose free, if you prefer) - leave a tablespoon for the glaze
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup/ 150 gr. powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt (lactose free, if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF/ 160ºC.
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar with the ghee (or olive oil) for 2 minutes. Add in the eggs and beat until the batter starts to bubble.
- Add in the yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla extract and combine.
- In another bowl, combine flour, tapioca, almonds, baking powder and salt and slowly add to the batter, beating until completely blended.
- Spoon the batter into a donut pan or donut molds and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before unmolding.
- Dip with...
- Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add in the greek yogurt and whisk well.
- Dip each donut into the glaze and sprinkle with lemon zest (optional).
My name is Joana and I am a passionate foodie on a food sensitivities friendly diet. My Gut Feeling blog features mainly gluten free, dairy free and low FODMAP recipes. For more info please visit: