Breakfast foods that are perfect for anytime of the day are the best. Enjoy this fried pheasant with crisp waffles, spicy pickles and syrup.
By Brian Staffield
It’s time once again for breakfast food, but really it’s always time for breakfast food. Pheasant and Waffles topped with Spicy Miso Maple Syrup and Spicy Pickles, is everything you want and need from a breakfast dish. I could eat this dish every day of my life, but if I did I doubt I’d make it past 30.
Yes, I use a heart-shaped Scandinavian waffle iron. Why? Because it uses a stovetop as its heating element. This allows the waffle to develop some nice crispy bits around the edge.
- ¾ cup AP Flour
- ¼ cup Cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Corn Oil
- 2 tablespoons melted Butter
- 1 Egg
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pheasant broken down
- 1 cup AP Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed Sage
- ¼ teaspoon cracked Black Pepper
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- Corn Oil
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Miso Paste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl pour the buttermilk and oil. Stir the melted butter into the cold buttermilk. This will create small pockets of butter. Stir in the egg and vanilla.
- Pour the wet into the dry. Mix well.
- Make your waffles. I used a Scandinavian heart-shaped waffle iron because it works better than our other.
- Heat your corn oil* in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add enough oil to shallow fry the pheasant. Bring the corn oil up 350°
- Combine the flour, salt and spices in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Combine the buttermilk and egg to make a bath for the cuts of pheasant in a shallow bowl.
- Take the first to pieces and soak them in the buttermilk bath. Then coat the pieces in the flour mixture. Shake off the extra. Place in the hot oil and cook each side until golden brown. Avoid overcooking the pheasant.
- Place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Then dig in.
- Serve with Waffles, Spicy Miso Maple Syrup and Spicy Pickles.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Pour over your Pheasant & Waffles topped with spicy pickles.
Brian Staffield has been interested in food ever since he was a child experimenting in the kitchen. He received his Bachelor of Arts in English from Oregon State University, and continues his passion for food and writing at his blog, Cooking with B.S.