This cocktail is the perfect way to celebrate dinner with family and friends and toast the summer season.
By Susan Benton
- ½-cup sugar
- ½-cup water
- 1½ cups packed mint leaves, plus 12 mint sprigs, for garnish
- 6 limes cut into wedges
- 2 cups light rum
- Cracked ice
- 3 cups Champagne or sparkling wine
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over high heat just until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the mint leaves and lime wedges and muddle well with a wooden spoon. Add the rum and stir well. Strain the drink into another pitcher.
- Fill tall glasses with cracked ice and pour in the drink, filling them about two-thirds full. Top with Champagne, garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
Susan Benton is the go to resource for foodies visiting Pensacola to Panama City Beach. She is a food and travel journalist with published articles and photography in many local, regional and national publications. Her website is 30AEATS.com where she writes about the secrets of Gulf Coast food.