PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Red lentils make a vibrant vegetarian burger with just enough creamy cheese. Top with a greek yogurt and wasabi sauce for delicious spice.
By Shashi Charles
“Comfort food” – those two words can conjure up thoughts of so many different belly-rumbling pleasures for each of us.
Whether it be biscuits, chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, pizza or mac and cheese, we each have that food that gets us reminiscing while making us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
My comfort food these days is lentils. Growing up, lentil curry used to be a staple on our table no matter what the occasion or circumstance might have been. My mom has always been an expert lentil -or dhal- curry maker; to this day, I’ve never quite had lentil curry like she makes it! While I adore lentil curry – I adore lentils more. To me, lentils are so incredibly versatile – easily absorbing the flavors of what they are surrounded by while adding a nutritional punch to whatever they are in, whether that be pancakes or soups or stews.
This past week has been kinda crazy and I have found solace in comforting lentils in a wide variety of ways; so, when I received a sample of creamy, dill flavored Castello Havarti cheese, I figured I would try combining it with lentils to make a veggie burger.
These little nibblers were super tasty (or they wouldn’t have made it on here) and, they were oh so comforting -and, no cheese oozed out in the process! My daughter came up with a perfectly complimenting sauce for these Lentil & Cheese Burgers – a simple mix of yogurt, wasabi, ketchup and lime – sounds weird – but, it tasted so darn good with these burgers.
- 4 cups cooked lentils (I boiled 2 cups red lentils in 4 cups water for 25 minutes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ cup grated Dill Flavored Castello Haverti Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1¼ tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl till well incorporated
- Coat a pan with olive oil and let heat up over a medium flame
- Form lentil-cheese mixture into burgers
- Cook on each side for 4 minutes -flipping gently
- Transfer to a foil lined baking tray and bake at 375 for 15 minutes
- Mix all the ingredients together and serve with warm Lentil & Cheese Burgers
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.