PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
An herbaceous appetizer to celebrate spring with a vegetarian ceviche, crispy cracker, and flavorful foam.
By Kristin Guy
Spring is in the air here in Los Angeles…literally. The jasmine blooms are out in full force, intoxicating and ready to lull you into a fever that can only be soothed by a cold drink and a pool. Yes, even out west we get antsy for the longer day-lit joy of summertime.
Let’s celebrate the spring season with something light and herbaceous, shall we? When thinking light, you’re probably not expecting cheese to be the main focus, but we thought it sounded like an interesting challenge when our friends at Castello sent over some of their creamy and bold dill havarti.
Not only are these cucumber cups extremely refreshing, they are also the perfect little bite for all your springtime serenading. In fact, these little guys pack quite the party into a small space, using the dill havarti THREE WAYS: as a vegetarian “ceviche”, a baked crisp cracker and an herbaceous foam.
We call that a triple threat appetizer…we also call it a show off. Actually we should really call it an “oops I ate all of them before anyone else showed up to the party“. Because that happened, Oops indeed.
Avocado, Dill and cucumber are three of our favorite warm weather flavors. The addition of tomatillo and radish create a surprising mix of sweet and peppery crunch to those soft flavors while balancing and highlighting the bold creamy dill havarti components. It might seem like there’s a lot going on inside of these little edible cups, but each bite brings together perfect notes of dill and a unique combination of textures.
Speaking of texture…Can we talk about that avocado dill havarti foam again!? Because it has us pretty excited…maybe even as excited as we are for these longer daylight hours!
So if you’ll excuse us…we’ll be squirting that savory dill air on top of whatever we can find. It’s good thing we made extra…and we think you should probably do the same.
- 1 Large English cucumber, roughly peeled and cut into six 3-4 inch tall pillars chunks
- ½ cup cubed Castello dill havarti cheese
- ½ cup chopped english cucumber
- 2 tsp white wine vin
- ¼ chopped red onion
- 1 chopped raw tomatillo
- Cracked pepper
- Radishes for garnish
- 2 Avocados
- ½ cup whipping Cream
- ¼ cup shredded Castello Dill Havarti Cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ cup veg stock
- 1 cup Castello Dill Havarti cheese
- In a bowl add all the chopped ingredients, and toss with vinegar and pepper. Hollow out the 6 cucumber cups using a melon baller or teaspoon and stuff each with ceviche. Place a thinly sliced radish on top of cup and prep your foam.
- Combine everything in a blender and puree until very smooth. Season the mixture with salt and pour it into the canister of a 1-pint Gourmet Whip Plus siphon. Charge the siphon with one (N20) cartridge according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Shake the siphon and refrigerate until well chilled, approx 30 minutes. Holding canister upside down, release a small dollop of foam on top of each cucumber cup (Please follow the instructions of your specific whipping canister).
- Preheat Oven 400
- Shred Approx 1 cup Castello Dill Havarti cheese and place small flat mounds on a silicone-lined baking sheet and bake 3-5 Minutes until crisp
- Cut into Small triangles and use as serving garnish
- Top cups with cracked black salt, crushed pink peppercorns and a sprig of dill.