This dark chocolate pound cake is for the serious chocolate lover, and whatever you do, do not skimp on the ganache frosting.
when it comes to cake, i definitely favor pound or bundt cakes over heavily frosted layer cakes. i did make my dad his favorite german chocolate cake for his birthday a few years back, and i do love this devils food cake with raspberry frosting. but i can probably count on one hand the number of layer cakes that i have made that actually turned out well.
so i stick to pound cakes like this chocolate pound cake and the occasional bundt.
life has been crazy lately. kids in school. basketball 5 days a week. a quick vegas trip for ians birthday. a visit from my parents, house painting, and a much needed solo weekend in san diego.
to say i am exhausted is an understatement, but i finally feel like maybe things are calming down. at least a bit. unfortunately with teens in the house, that changes daily. for now i am looking forward to an event free weekend, football watching, some r&r,
and a slice or two of this chocolate pound cake.
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- grease standard loaf pan and line with a parchment sling
- in a medium bowl whisk together the flour and cocoa powder
- in the bowl of a stand mixer,using the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy - this will take about 5 minutes
- add eggs one at a time, and vanilla
- reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly flour/cocoa mixture and mix only until the flour is incorporated
- pour batter into the prepared pan
- bake in the center of the oven for 60 minutes (a pick inserted int he center should come out clean) if needed bake an additional 5 - 10 minutes
- cool in pan 15 minutes, carefully remove cake to a rack to complete cooling
- to make the ganache, simmer the cream in a small saucepan until hot - but not boiling
- pour over the chopped chocolate, and let sit for 5 minutes - then whisk until smooth
- pour ganache over the completely cooled pound cake