This dark chocolate pound cake is for the serious chocolate lover, and whatever you do, do not skimp on the ganache frosting.
when it comes to cake, i definitely favor pound or bundt cakes over heavily frosted layer cakes. i did make my dad his favorite german chocolate cake for his birthday a few years back, and i do love this devils food cake with raspberry frosting. but i can probably count on one hand the number of layer cakes that i have made that actually turned out well.
so i stick to pound cakes like this chocolate pound cake and the occasional bundt.
life has been crazy lately. kids in school. basketball 5 days a week. a quick vegas trip for ians birthday. a visit from my parents, house painting, and a much needed solo weekend in san diego.
to say i am exhausted is an understatement, but i finally feel like maybe things are calming down. at least a bit. unfortunately with teens in the house, that changes daily. for now i am looking forward to an event free weekend, football watching, some r&r,
and a slice or two of this chocolate pound cake.
Dark Chocolate Pound CakeHeather Kinnaird
for the pound cake
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
for the ganache
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- grease standard loaf pan and line with a parchment sling
- in a medium bowl whisk together the flour and cocoa powder
- in the bowl of a stand mixer,using the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy - this will take about 5 minutes
- add eggs one at a time, and vanilla
- reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly flour/cocoa mixture and mix only until the flour is incorporated
- pour batter into the prepared pan
- bake in the center of the oven for 60 minutes (a pick inserted int he center should come out clean) if needed bake an additional 5 - 10 minutes
- cool in pan 15 minutes, carefully remove cake to a rack to complete cooling
- to make the ganache, simmer the cream in a small saucepan until hot - but not boiling
- pour over the chopped chocolate, and let sit for 5 minutes - then whisk until smooth
- pour ganache over the completely cooled pound cake
Heather Kinnaird is the blogger behind French Press, a blog dedicated to family friendly meals, sweet treats, and homemade versions of store bought classics. When she's not in the kitchen you 'll probably find Heather chasing after her kids, three dogs, 6 chickens, and sometimes all of the above.