Here you have a very simple date square on which the crust is made partially with ginger snaps cookies. It’s amazing how well the ginger, dates, and apples go together.
By Bryan Pickard
- 500g dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 150g ginger nut cookies
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar3/4 cup (175g) butter, softened
- 2 green apples, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tablespoons (60g) butter, softened
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the dates, water, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Add the baking soda, simmer and stir for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Process the ginger cookies in a food processor until roughly ground.
- In a large bowl, mix the grounded cookies, oats, flour, sugar and butter until combined.
- Line a 8?-9? square pan with parchement.
- Press half the ginger crunch mixture in the pan, layer with the dattes, and finish with the rest of the ginger crunch.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is lightly golden. Leave to cool for a few hours.
- In a small saucepan, bring the apples, sugar, and water to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat, until just a bit of liquid is left.
- Pass throught a sieve and press with a spatula to get all the syrup from the apple.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, icing sugar, and apple syrup.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container. Will keep up to two weeks.
Bryan Picard is a wild and homegrown food enthusiast. He lives in the Maritimes in Canada and has worked the kitchens as a cook and chef for the past ten years. He writes on his blog The Bite House.