Buttery light cream puffs filled with mascarpone and strawberries. A treat and so delicious, you just can’t settle for one pice.
By Kankana Saxena
I am not much of a sweet tooth person, but there are few sweet treats to which I will never say No and one of those is Cream Puffs. After some serious thought and hours of internet browsing, I decided to take an attempt and bake it at home.
I was surprised and smiling from cheek to cheek as I saw those cream puffs rising tall. Kept my fingers crossed and hoped that it doesn’t fall flat after a while. It didn’t and they were still standing firm when I took them out of the oven. I kept staring impatiently for them to cool down and after a while, I held one in my hand.. they were perfect (at least in my world).
After the puffs came out the way I wanted, I had to look for some filling to use and what better than mascarpone with strawberries, right?
- For the puffs
- 6 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 tsp sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- For the filling
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar (may vary depending of tartness or sweetness of strawberries)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a deep pan, boil water and drop the butter in the water.
- After the butter is melted, add sugar, salt and keep stirring.
- Bring the heat to medium, add all the flour at once and using a wooden spoon, keep beating until the mixture forms a dough. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Stop the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
- The next step is to mix the eggs with the dough which can be done in two different ways :-
- Beat all the eggs in a bowl. Then, pour the beaten eggs in the dough little bit at a time and keep stirring until all the eggs are mixed nicely with the dough
- Put the hot dough in the food processor, add the eggs all at once and pulse it for a while till it mixes properly
- I used the second method to mix the dough with eggs until it was smooth and thick in texture.
- Next, spoon or pipe 8 to 9 mounds of dough onto the baking sheet. Make sure to space them about 1-1/2 inch apart as they will spread while baking.
- Wet the tip of your finger and tap the top of the dough slightly just to make sure it's smooth on top.
- Bake it at 400 F for 15mins.
- Reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for another 30 minutes or until they are all puffed up and get golden brown in color.
- Once done, let these cool completely before you start filling.
- For the filling, whip together mascarpone cheese with heavy cream and sugar till it's firm. Chop the strawberries and mix it with the cheese mix.
- For final plating: Cut the puffs in half , spread the strawberries and cheese mix on the bottom half, place the top half of the puff shells and dust some icing sugar on top. You can serve it immediately, but I feel it tastes best when chilled for about an hour before you serve.
Kankana Saxena shares culinary journey, travel stories and passion for photography in her blog 'Playful Cooking'. Her cooking style is mostly nutritional with little bit of indulgence here and there. She believes in the mantra 'homemade is happiness'! She is a native of India but currently resides in Santa Clara, California with her husband.