Traditionally, “gløgg” is a warm, spiced, alcoholic wine drink which has been drunk by Scandinavians since the 16th century. And every afternoon from late November through the end of the year, the Hotel d’Angleterre serves its signature Christmas Gløgg to help revelers celebrate the holiday season and endure the chilly winter days.
This Christmas gløgg is a delicious riff on the traditional Swedish version made with red wine. It is white wine infused with spices, fruit, rum, a touch of brown sugar syrup and Champagne. This holiday drink will pair amazingly with Brunede Kartofler – Browned Potatoes, a staple at a Danish Christmas table.Print
- Author: Hotel d’Angleterre
This Christmas gløgg is a delicious riff on the traditional Swedish version made with red wine. It is white wine infused with spices, fruit, rum, a touch of brown sugar syrup and Champagne.
- 1 1/3 oz Cloudy Apple Juice
- 1 oz White Rum
- 1 oz White Wine
- 1 oz White Port
- 1/3 oz Lemon Juice
- 3/4 oz Brown Sugar Syrup
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup Brut Champagne
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake hard and strain into an ice-filled wine glass and top off with Brut Champagne. (approx. ½ cup, depending on how strong you like it).
- Garnish with organic Red Pine Stick, a Maraschino Cherry and a Cinnamon Stick
- Category: holiday cocktail
- Cuisine: Danish, Scandinavian-inspired, Swedish
Keywords: christmas, christmas cocktail, cocktail, holiday cocktail, mixology
The Hotel d’Angleterre is Copenhagen’s only Leading Hotel in the World. It’s well regarded for its elegant Scandinavian design and standard of luxury.
Alyssa Holder is a writer specializing in food and travel topics since 2015.