Try these delicious pumpkin spelt muffins from Laura Davidson.
By Laura Davidson
This recipe was actually roughly inspired by a carrot cake recipe. I decided that pumpkin and carrot would probably taste great together and luckily my predictions came true. These disappeared incredibly quickly from my house and I think I only ate one of them in the end.
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg, cloves & ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup carrots, grated (about 4-5 carrots)
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup Zante currants or raisins
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- Whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. In another bowl, stir together the carrots, Zante currants, and chopped walnuts.
- Using a mixer, combine the pureed pumpkin, canola oil, and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, and continue to beat until smooth.
- Reduce speed and slowly add in flour mixture, mixing only until the dry ingredients disappear (whenever baking, you want to mix as little as possible).
- Gently stir in carrot, walnut, and currant mixture. Divide into lightly greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.