A vibrant broccoli and onion spread is pureed until smooth and served simply with a rustic loaf of bread.
Recipe from THE VEGETARIAN ITALIAN KITCHEN (New Holland Publishers, Australia)
A classic autumn comfort food that I love preparing with harvested vegetables from my garden. If you don’t believe this makes a difference, I recommend you give it a try. Vegetables grown without any pesticides have a mild taste and a delicate texture completely different to those sold in supermarkets. That is why even a simple cream like this is just great with the only addition being a high quality olive oil.
- 300 g (11 oz) broccoli
- 2 onions (1 if large)
- 2 potatoes
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) water
- Sea salt, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to
- White pepper, to taste
- 2 slices rustic bread
- Clean the broccoli, removing the hardest parts, and cut into small pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut into chunks.
- Peel the potatoes and then cook all the vegetables in a large pot of salted water for about 30 minutes.
- When cooked, leave to cool and blend until the consistency is more or less creamy, according to taste. Put on the heat again for about 5 minutes.
- Season with a little olive oil and, if desired, white pepper.
- Serve immediately with rustic bread.