Utilizing the traditional Brazilian cheese bread formula, sweet or savory Waffle Pão de Queijo is naturally gluten-free and only takes minutes to make.
By Denise Browning
It can be served for breakfast or brunch, or as a snack. For breakfast and brunch, you can eat waffle pão de queijo fresh from the waffle iron and spread with a little butter, or topped with maple syrup and accompanied by bacon, breakfast sausage, a fried eggs, fruit and jams…Or for snack time, you can eat them drizzled on top with homemade dulce de leche sauce and chopped roasted cashew nuts, or guava paste sauce.
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender until obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
- Heat the waffle iron.
- Lightly brush it (both top and bottom) with oil, or spray with cooking spray. Then, fill the waffle iron with blended mixture and close the waffle iron.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes (soft, my favorite way) to 5 minutes (well toasted).
- Remove from the waffle iron and serve immediately.
Denise Browning is a native Brazilian foodie, trained Chef, cooking instructor, restaurant menu/recipe developer, and former lawyer. She is also the author of From Brazil To You - a blog that features Brazilian, fusion, and international dish recipes, stories, and photography of Brazil. Her writing has appeared in Cia Brasil Magazine, while her photography is frequently featured on Foodgawker, TasteSpotting, and Foodepix. She lives in Texas with her American husband and two children.