Utilizing the traditional Brazilian cheese bread formula, sweet or savory Waffle Pão de Queijo is naturally gluten-free and only takes minutes to make.
By Denise Browning
It can be served for breakfast or brunch, or as a snack. For breakfast and brunch, you can eat waffle pão de queijo fresh from the waffle iron and spread with a little butter, or topped with maple syrup and accompanied by bacon, breakfast sausage, a fried eggs, fruit and jams…Or for snack time, you can eat them drizzled on top with homemade dulce de leche sauce and chopped roasted cashew nuts, or guava paste sauce.
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender until obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
- Heat the waffle iron.
- Lightly brush it (both top and bottom) with oil, or spray with cooking spray. Then, fill the waffle iron with blended mixture and close the waffle iron.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes (soft, my favorite way) to 5 minutes (well toasted).
- Remove from the waffle iron and serve immediately.