PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
Loaded with wild blueberry preserves and cream cheese, this recipe is a truly spectacular breakfast in bed surprise.
Have you ever actually had breakfast in bed? Like, truly and actually had someone bring you breakfast, plates and forks and all, in bed? I remember once when we were kids we did this for Mom. Little tray, napkins and orange juice and the like. I don’t remember what the food was (I’d like to THINK it was something awesome like French toast), but I remember her reaction. She was so surprised – and excited! It’s a fun memory, and reminds me of all the fun Mother’s Days we had together as kids.
Mom lives far away now, but this blueberry cream cheese loaded French toast is for her Mother’s Day in spirit! The recipe is SO easy and absolutely delicious, made with a few simple ingredients: French bread, egg, cream cheese, butter, and Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserve. I love the preserve, because it’s truly jelly, made with high-quality fruit and nothing artificial (no high fructose corn syrup, no additives, non-GMO and gluten-free). Plus, the texture is also truly like jelly (not hardened or condensed – it’s gooey and tasty and delicious!). This is largely because it’s made with whole fruit, not crushed fruit.
(PS: Want to win a 12-piece Le Creuset Set!? Bonne Maman is hosting a sweepstakes now through October 31, 2017).
For more recipe ideas, check out these fun toasts.
Blueberry and Cream Cheese Stuffed French ToastSarah Mason
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg?
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract?
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 French Baguette thickly sliced (4-inch slices)
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ?Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserve
- Powdered sugar for garnish ?
- 1/2 cup maple syrup warmed
- In a small bowl, whisk together cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Pour into a shallow container, such as a pie plate or wide bowl.
- In the top of each thick bread slice, use a serrated knife to cut a "divot" into the bread. Cut the divot about halfway through the bread (do not slice all the way through). You're essentially making a trough for the stuffing.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Dip the bread in the egg mixture. Fry slices (on both sides) until golden brown. Remove and use a spoon to fill the divot you cut with softened cream cheese and Bonne Maman WIld Blueberry Preserve.
- Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and syrup.
Recipe developer, food photographer and the blogger behind "Drool-Worthy."