This rich and filling soup is just what the doctor ordered for the perfect weeknight dinner to help you power through the week.
That’s right Fergie is back. Okay it’s not The Black Eyed Peas, it’s just black-eyed peas. I rarely see black-eyed peas anywhere, not in restaurants, recipes, no where. I mean come on, Where is the Love?
If you end up with a ham bone and don’t know what to do with it? Instead of making stock try making some black-eyed peas with it.
- 1 Ham Bone ideally with some meat still on it
- 2 cups Black eyed peas soaked for at least one hour
- ¼ cup Ground Spicy Pork Sausage
- 1½ cup water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Chipotle
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Medium Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- In a Dutch Oven roast your ham bone at 375 uncovered, until your kitchen starts to smell like pork.
- Add the onions, avocado oil, and garlic to the ham pot. Let roast for about 10 minutes. Add the sausage let it roast for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the dutch oven from the oven and place on the stove top. Add the strained black-eyed peas, the water, spices, and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Remove the bone and any cartilage floating around in the peas. Oh and don't forget to take out those bay leaves. Serve with sliced fresh avocado! Enjoy!