Make up the base of this salad and take it to the bbq. Finish off the grilling and toss together for a delicious warm salad that is perfect for an outdoor meal.
By Tania Cusack
Make up the base of this salad and take it to the bbq. Finish off the grilling and toss together for a delicious warm salad. Add or subtract some of the flavourings to taste. You may like more or less lemon or maybe you prefer green olives? A couple of the elements are BBQ’d then added to the rest of the ingredients making a lovely warm salad. Most of it can be made ahead, then the rest finished off right there at the BBQ. It could be one of your last BBQ efforts for the season if you are saying goodbye to summer, but for you over there….dreaming of spring this is for you.
- ¼ piece of preserved lemon rind chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups of cooked barley
- ½ cup black olives
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium ones sliced into rings
- ½ punnet mixed tomatoes ½’d
- 1 chorizo sausage sliced into rings
- 50gm goat cheese or feta
- ¼ bunch of chives chopped
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl: preserved lemon, smoked paprika, olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic, sugar and salt. Using a whisk or a fork, whisk the dressing together well till emulsified then mix in the barley and set aside.
- Add the olives cut tomatoes and chives. don’t stir in just leave till later.
- Toss the zucchini and sliced chorizo in a little olive oil and sear on the BBQ. Add these to the salad bowl and toss gently.
- Put onto a platter or into a bowl and break cheese over the top