A banana caramel filling sits inside a buttery tart and is topped with a layer of whipped cream, rich chocolate ganache, and salty pretzels. A sweet and salty dream come true.
By Oana Olguta
This dessert is rich, buttery, and packed with flavor that combines the most amazing caramel with some over-ripe bananas, plenty of chocolate and a delicate cloud of whipped cream.
The banana caramel tart with pretzels is sweet, fragrant, rich, creamy, silky and yet texturized, it’s basically all you ever wanted from a tart and much more. It’s a banoffee pie brought to a whole new level with the addition of a rich chocolate ganache and a salty, crunchy pretzel tart and it’s absolutely perfect if you like bananas, pretzels, chocolate and the mix of silky and crunchy in the same bite.
- 150g (5.3 ounces) pretzels
- 100g (3.5 ounces) graham crackers
- 100g (3.5 ounces) butter, melted
- Find the recipe for the banana filling above.
- 100ml (3.4 fluid ounces) heavy cream
- 100g (3.5 ounces) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 200ml (6.8 fluid ounces) heavy cream, whipped
- Combine the pretzels and crackers in a food processor and pulse until fine and ground.
- Add the melted butter and mix well then transfer into a round tart pan (20cm diameter). Press the crust well on the bottom and sides of the pan and bake in the pre-heated oven at 350F for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- If you have dulce de leche, things are very straight forward - arrange the banana slices in the crust and pour the dulce de leche over the bananas.
- If you don't have dulce de leche, make a whole in the top of your condensed milk can and place the can in a pot. Fill the pot with water until it reaches the top, then place over low heat and cook for 3-4 hours until caramel begins to show through the hole you made in the can. Remove from heat and allow to cool then cut open the can and use.
- Bring 100ml cream to the boiling point in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate.
- Mix until melted and smooth then stir in the vanilla and rum. ALlow to cool then pour the chocolate over the dulce de leche and place in the fridge.
- Allow to set then top with whipped cream.
- Decorate with chocolate and pretzels and serve chilled.