This is a bowl of comfort. Steaming with red lentils, cumin, mint, and lemon.
By Hello Fresh
Earthy, yet bright and fresh with its combination of spices and herbs, this hearty and satisfying soup is perfect on any day.
This recipe from HelloFresh was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Afghan Red Lentil Soup with Cumin, Mint and Lemon.
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 ounces carrots 168g
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 can whole plum tomatoes 14 oz
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 ounce fresh mint 14g
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock concentrate
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Prep the veggies: halve, peel, and dice the onion. Peel the carrots, then finely dice. Finely chop the celery. Mine or grate the garlic. Zest the lemon, then slice into wedges. Thinly slice the mint, reserving a few leaves for garnish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot and cook, tossing, 45 minutes, until softened. Add the cumin and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and the dried mint to the pot. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon break up the tomatoes until almost smooth. Add the lentils, vegetable stock concentrate, and 2 cups water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 2530 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaf from the pot. Add the chopped mint and a squeeze of lemon and stir to combine.
- TIP: If you have a blender, you can blend the soup for a creamy consistency!
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with lemon zest, reserved lemon wedges, and fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!
Offering more than 14,000 recipes plus features and DIYs on cooking, dining and entertaining, Relish celebrates America's love of food. Relish is about honoring cooking traditions while exploring new trends and ideas, which is why millions of people turn to both Relish.com and Relish Magazine for special occasion recipes, quick and easy weeknight suppers and culinary adventures.