This is a tasty and versatile dish. While I prefer broccoli rabe, you can substitute that for whatever vegetable you have on hand. These buns make a lovely brunch, lunch or side dish for supper. You can even make them smaller for pop-in-the-mouth hors d’oeuvres for your next party.
red chili flakes
salt + pepper
puffed pastry (frozen or home-made)
egg wash (with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of rosemary)
• Steam broccoli rabe (in water or chicken broth) till soft.
• Drain and saute briefly with garlic and tomato.
• Season to taste with salt, pepper and/or red chili flakes and some freshly grated parmesan.
• Set aside.
• Cut defrosted puff pastry into panels and then in half to create a square or rectangle.
• Add scoop of vegetable filling and top with shredded mozzarella.
• Close up either in bun or hot pocket shape and bake in hot oven at 400F degrees (204.4C) till browned.