With spring in the air, everyone is looking for reasons to fire up that grill. Here is a great way to incorporate Indian flavors into this nutty vegetable – and a meat alternative for the BBQ fanatic vegetarians.
By Shuchi Mittal
Tandoori Brussels Sprouts
A healthy, quick and yummy BBQ alternative to meat
Author: Shuchi Mittal
Recipe Type: Appetizer
- 10-12 brussels sprouts, washed and halved
- 4 tablespoons thick yogurt
- ¾ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chat masala to sprinkle (optional)
- Mix the yogurt will all the listed spices, except the oil, and marinate the brussels sprouts in this mixture for 2-3 hours. Even better if you can leave it overnight. Make sure it's in an airtight container.
- Once ready to grill, line them on a greased baking tray. Brush the tops with more olive oil and bake at 400 degree F for 30-35 minutes, or till they are browned and par cooked (with a little crunch left over).
- Skip the baking and line them on a grill if you are taking it all outside. Nothing like cooking them on a BBQ, and they will cook much quicker - in approx 10-12 minutes.
- Put on a skewer and serve hot with a mint chutney.