With a beautiful balance of creaminess and tartness, this lemon pudding is easy to bake and very comforting.
By Kankana Saxena
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, kept at room temperature
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated (egg yolk in one bowl and egg white in another bowl)
- 1 cup milk
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons
- powdered sugar for dusting
- In a bowl, whisk sugar with butter until it’s creamy.
- Add egg yolk to the bowl and beat until it’s smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into the egg yolk bowl and whisk.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest and milk. Whisk again.
- Pre heat the oven to 325F and boil a pan of water.
- While that’s happening, whisk egg white until it foams a soft peak.
- Pour beaten egg white to the egg yolk bowl. Using a spatula, very carefully fold the beaten egg whites until it’s all mixed together.
- Pour the mixture in separate ramekin bowls and place bowls on a baking pan. Pour hot water on the baking pan carefully until it comes half way up the ramekin bowls.
- Place baking pan in the oven and bake it for 30 minutes or until it’s set on top.
- Dust some powdered sugar and serve warm or cold.
Kankana Saxena shares culinary journey, travel stories and passion for photography in her blog 'Playful Cooking'. Her cooking style is mostly nutritional with little bit of indulgence here and there. She believes in the mantra 'homemade is happiness'! She is a native of India but currently resides in Santa Clara, California with her husband.