Also known as chaat, this spicy corn salad is a wonderful summer side. The salad is tossed with fresh mint and vinegar for a bright flavor.
By Shuchi Mittal
“I walked streets
Of vendors full,
Frying & tossing
Aromas that pull..
A quick squeeze
For a perfected snack,
Spice, masalas & lemon
No flavors lack!
Chaat for family
Or when you’re lone,
A delicious memory
Re-created at home..”
- 2 cups corn kernels
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (remove seeds if you don’t want it too fiery!)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped (leaves & stalks)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chat masala (or dry mango powder)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet. Add corn, salt & paprika and roast on high flame for 10-12 minutes, till the corn is tender and all the moisture has been absorbed. Continue to sauté till the corn kernels start turning brown. Remove from heat & cool completely.
- Once cooled, stir in the green chili, peppers & tomatoes. (make sure you don’t mix the vegetables when the corn is hot, or they’ll wilt & become mushy).
- Put the mint, coriander, vinegar, lemon juice in a mortar and pound to make a chunky wet paste.
- Once ready to serve, toss the corn in the vinegar mixture. Season with chat masala, cumin and pepper. Adjust salt & serve fresh.