Careful not to overcook the potatoes, if they’re too mushy they won’t stay on the sticks for party-worthy serving.
By Sanjeeta Kk
- 20-25 baby potatoes
- ½ cup curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Bengal gram
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tbsp. oil
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash a boil baby potatoes in water for 10 minutes till they turn soft but not mushy in texture.
- Cool and peel the baby potatoes. Wash and pat dry the curry leaves.
- Heat a non-stick pan and dry roast Bengal gram (channa daal) till it turns golden brown in colour. Add coriander seeds in the same pan and dry roast on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Take out the roasted ingredients in a separate bolw. Add 1 tsp. of oil in the same pan and fry curry leaves till they turn dry and crisp, for about 5-6 minutes.
- Grind roasted gram, coriander seeds, curry leaves, red chillies into coarse powder.
- Heat rest of oil in non-stick pan, add sesame seeds and let it splutter.
- Add asafoetida powder, turmeric powder, salt and the ground powder in the same pan and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add peeled baby potatoes in the pan and stir to coat each potato with the ground spice mix.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Insert a tooth pick to each spice coated baby potato and serve as a healthy party snack.
Sanjeeta kk is the author of food blog ‘Lite Bite’ which features vegetarian recipes. Her quest for egg free baking and healthy cooking is extensively shared though all her recipes. She likes to share stories behind the origin of her recipes which are easy and accessible. Homemade, unprocessed and healthy food is what she strives for each day. She defines food as nostalgic, comforting & an important factor to connect with people and make community