This portion makes a huge batch, but if you make sure to sterilise your glasses well in the oven or with boiling water, it can keep forever.
By Rikke Oestergaard
- 1½ kilo cooking apples
- 750 grams of muscovado sugar
- 500 grams of raisins
- 2 medium onions
- 2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 700 ml cider vinegar
- Peel and roughly chop the apples.
- Chop the onions
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pan. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer over a medium heat uncovered, for about 40 minutes or until thick and pulpy.
- Taste during the cooking process – you might have to add a bit more sugar, depending on the apples.
- Leave to cool in the pan, and transfer to sterilised jars.
As a Dane with an international outlook, Rikke's recipes covers every cuisine in the world, but with a classic, warming and clean Scandinavian twist. She cooks seasonal, organic and economical food, blogs at 02acres.com and believes she might have been born 50 years too late.