These were quick, simple and quite interesting, given that a jalebi is traditionally an Indian sweet.
By Shuchi Mittal
“Sweet or savory, can’t you tell?
Hey, pick one up & indulge, you might as well!
And when the night’s over, you cross a day off the diet chart
- ½ cup gram flour
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons thick yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1teaspoon caraway seeds (ajwain)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- A pinch asafetida
- A pinch of baking soda
- Salt and red chili powder to taste
- 1 teaspoon chat masala (Indian savory spice used on street food)
- Olive oil for shallow frying
- Mix gram flour with all the ingredients (except chat masala & oil) and add enough water to make a semi-thick pourable batter (pancake like batter).
- Keep aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan.
- Put the mixture in a piping bag with a small hole & pour it into the hot oil in small round squiggles.
- Remove when crisp and brown on both sides and keep on a kitchen towel to drain any excess oil.
- Sprinkle with chat masala and serve hot with a dipping sauce such as tomato, sriracha, mint or yogurt.