A plain burger patty thrown on the grill lets creative toppings and flavors really shine. This nacho burger has everything from the salsa to the queso and even avocado.
By Natalie McLaury
Now that it is warmer, when dinnertime strikes, I have one thing on the mind, burgers! It is perfect grilling weather.
Maybe it was the perfect day enjoyed outdoors, but this is a really solid recipe. The patties themselves are pretty basic, and it’s the toppings that shine here.
- Author: Natalie McLaury
A plain burger patty thrown on the grill lets creative toppings and flavors really shine. This nacho burger has everything from the salsa to the queso and even avocado. slightly adapted from Food and Wine Magazine
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 3 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
Cheese sauce (note–this will make more than you need for the burgers!)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 lb pepperjack cheese, shredded
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Mix in the flour and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat.
- Whisk in the milk a little at a time. Cook, whisking, for about 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the cheese until melted, then season with salt and pepper. Allow mixture to cool (will thicken as it cools).
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
Natalie McLaury is a St Louis based food writer with a passion for real food and experimenting in the kitchen. Her cooking ranges from healthy three course meals to decadent desserts, and she shares many of her food tips and recipes on her successful The Sweets Life blog . As an avid runner and fitness expert, she also gives the occasional tips on how to combine a serious interest in health with a sweet tooth.