Soups and stews are such a comfort food during the cooler seasons. And a good hearty stew like this Italian Sausage Vegetable Bean Stew is one of my favorite go-tos. It’s delicious, savory, and hearty and just makes your heart happy and your belly glad.
It doesn’t take too long to make. This is not your ordinary soup with tons of broth and a small amount of vegetables. No, friends, this soup is packed with protein, vegetables, and all around yumminess.
Easily add more vegetables or beans or other sources of protein if you have them in your pantry or fridge. There’s no wrong way to go about this.
I made this using my dutch oven. You can use a crock pot but it won’t have the same depth of flavor. If you don’t have a dutch oven, I highly recommend getting one. Super great to make stews and soups in.
So in your dutch oven, brown up some Italian sausage (my husband loves this meat!). Then as the meat is browning add in the chopped onions and extra virgin olive oil. Sauté everything together until onions are transparent. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute. After that pour in broth. Next, add chopped carrots, celery, and potatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. Making sure that the vegetables are soft when pierced.
Towards the end of cooking, add in beans and chopped kale. Add more seasoning to taste.
It smells so good!!! Mmmmmm.….!
Serve this Italian Sausage Vegetable Bean Stew as is or with your favorite hearty bread or side. Seriously, guys, so easy to make, right?! Hope it makes your hearts and bellies happy as it did ours!
Italian Sausage Vegetable Bean StewMegan - The Little Momma
- 6 cups broth any kind will do, but our favorite to use is chicken
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 whole carrots roughly chopped
- 3 cups red potatoes chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 1/2 tsps Italian seasoning
- 3 cups kale chopped into small pieces
- 2 cans white beans any kind of white bean is good
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 heavy pinch salt
- Heat a dutch oven over medium to medium high heat.
- Add Italian sausage and brown. As it is browning, break up into smaller pieces.
- Once the sausage starts to brown, add in onions and extra virgin olive oil. Cook until sausage is fully cooked and onions are transparent.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in broth. Add in carrots, potatoes, celery, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender when pierced.
- Turn to low heat. Stir in beans and kale. Let sit for about 3 minutes. Season to taste.
- Serve and enjoy! Add your favorite hearty bread or sandwich if desired!
Wife, Momma, and Author behind the food blog, The Little Momma. The best way to enjoy the everyday food and life we experience is through little hands, full bellies and happy hearts. With a background in Nutrition, I develop and revamp recipes that are easier to make for the everyday cook.