Instead of custard cups, a muffin tin will also work to give these tortilla cups their shape.
By Kim Hamill
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 6- to 6½-inch-diameter corn tortillas
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans or black beans, drained
- ⅔ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup purchased pico de gallo
- 2 to 3 teaspoons bottled chipotle hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush six 10-ounce custard cups with 1 tablespoon oil. Stack tortillas; microwave uncovered until warm and flexible, about 25 seconds. Gently press 1 tortilla into each cup. Brush tortillas with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Place beans, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, ⅓ cup chopped cilantro, and cumin in small bowl; mash coarsely with fork. Spoon bean mixture into bottom of tortilla cups, spreading and dividing evenly. Crack 1 egg into each tortilla cup atop beans. Sprinkle each with grated Monterey Jack cheese, covering egg completely. Bake uncovered until egg yolks are firm to touch and whites are set, about 27 minutes (yolks will still be soft inside).
- Meanwhile, mix pico de gallo, ⅓ cup cilantro, and hot sauce in small bowl. Using large spoon, lift tortilla cups from dishes; transfer to plates. Top eggs with pico de gallo and serve immediately.
By day, Kim is the 3rd generation in her family's NYC taxi business. By night, she writes about food, fashion, DIY projects, travel, and beyond on www.loveumadly.com. Her stories, recipes, and photographs have appeared in Marie Claire, NY Press, the Kitchn, HGTV.com, Food Gawker, and Finding Vegan. She doesn't sleep very much.