This Mapo Tofu recipe from the Sung Family has been passed down through generations. Read more recipes from the Wildwood Family Cookbook here. Bon Appetit!Print
Great Grandma B. Sung’s Mapo Tofu (Mabo Dofu)
- Category: Main Courses, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 2 cakes bean curd
- 120 g ground pork
- 2 red peppers
- 1 tsp bean paste
- 1/4 cup soup
- soy sauce
- Chop the leeks, red pepper, ginger and garlic.
- Cut 1 cake of bean curd into 8 equal squares, pour hot water over it quickly, and remove excess moisture.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in wok, saute leeks, red pepper, ginger and garlic, and finally saute ground pork.
- Next, mix in bean paste, bean curd of 2, soup, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar, and bring to a boil. Then add 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in water, mix, and turn off fire.
- Bean curd is dipped in hot water to prevent the outflow of muddy white liquid when cut, but this must be done immediately before cooking, as bean curd will harden if too much time passes between this treatment and actual use. Ground beef or ground chicken may be used as a substitute for ground pork.
Keywords: Solstice 2020