The Mclehenny Family are sending us the recipe for their favorite Korean Street Toast. Read more recipes from the Wildwood Family Cookbook here. Bon Appetit!Print
The Mclehenny Family’s Favorite Korean Gilfeori Toast
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1x
- Category: Bread, Main Courses
- Cuisine: Korean
- 3 ounces green cabbage, very thinly sliced (scant 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 carrot, julienned (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg or 2 eggs; see Tip)
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 slices milk bread, brioche or white sandwich bread
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp if not using sugar use jam
- 1 slice ham (optional)
- 1 slice American cheese or other sliced mild cheese (optional)
- Ketchup and mayonnaise, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, scallions, salt and pepper. Massage the vegetable mixture for 30 seconds, squeezing to tenderize. Crack in the egg and mix well.
- In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Place both slices of the bread on the pan, moving them around to soak up all the melted butter on one side, and toast until golden-brown underneath, about 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet, and flip the bread to soak up the butter and to toast on the other side until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle the top of each toast with 1/2 teaspoon sugar or slather the top of each with 1 teaspoon jam.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the cabbage mixture, and use one spatula in each hand to shape and hold it as it cooks to match the size of your bread. Cook the cabbage mixture just until it turns slightly golden underneath, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip the mixture, top with ham and cheese, if using, and cook until the other side is golden underneath, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cabbage mixture to one piece of sweetened toast. Top with ketchup and mayonnaise to taste, and add the remaining slice of bread, sweetened side down. Serve immediately, sliced in half if desired.
Keywords: Solstice 2020