A poetic tiramisu with an exotic twist from Shuchi Mittal.
By Shuchi Mittal
What can I say-Tiramisu makes me poetic!
“Tiramisu, Tiramisu, you could be a song
Of love and sweetness, and a journey long
A taste of knowledge, soaked in deep
A whiff of adrenalin, in bottomless sleep
A story of culture, with layers few
Dressed in colors, white, pink or blue
And where there is mistake, a sorry you can be
As grape is to wine, two pods in a pea
An endless tale, of him, her or me
Oh! heck with poetry, you were just meant to be…”
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 heaped tablespoon raw sugar
- 6 tablespoons brandy or any fruit liqueur
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup whipped cream
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 packet chocolate ladyfingers (16 pieces)
- ½ cup strong espresso (or 2 tablespoons instant coffee in hot water)
- 1 cup raspberries for layering
- Drinking chocolate for dusting
- Heat 1-cup raspberries with the sugar in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Cover and cook till the raspberries are soft and melt down. Continue to cook till the sugar and raspberries blend and form a jam like mixture. Remove from heat and cool. Once cooled, add 4 tablespoons of the brandy or liqueur in and keep aside to let the flavors fuse.
- Using an electric mixer or eggbeater, beat the coconut milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until the mixture thickens slightly and soft peaks form. Slowly fold in the mascarpone into this. Now fold the raspberry jam in, spoon by spoon. Do not over mix but let it form ribbons of pink in the white. We do not want it to be a homogeneous pink mixture. Keep aside.
- Combine the espresso with the remaining 2 tablespoons of brandy. Line your dessert bowl with half of the ladyfingers and soak them in the espresso. Make sure you get each corner of the biscuits soaked well. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers and cover with some fresh raspberries and coconut flakes. Repeat the layering with the remaining ladyfingers, mascarpone mixture, coconut flakes and raspberries. In the end, dust with cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate overnight. I let it sit for 24 hours as the longer it sits, the better it will taste!
- You will be happy you made (and ate) this!